Friday, February 24, 2017

Barcelona - Park Guell and la Sagrada Familia

February 24 - Thursday

Today we went to Parc Guell and la Familia Sagrada.  Both are amazing, unlike anything I have ever seen anywhere else.

We started by walking from the hotel to Park Guell. Outside our hotel there is a bike rental stand. The rental is cheap - 8 euros for 12 hours -- and of course I love riding bikes, so this was very tempting. However, I was not completely clear about how the rental worked, and when I saw that the bikes were single-speed, I wasn't sure what to think. Well, were we ever glad we had decided to walk. Park Guell is about 3 km from our hotel, almost all of it uphill -- a very steep hill. Maybe we could have made it on those bikes, but I am glad we didn't have to find out whether we could!



Photos simply do not do justice to this place and its complex and colourful structures, mosaics, buildings, gardens, etc. Also, as you can see, there were lots of people. We went quite early and the crowds grew steadily as the morning went on.






  

 
 


When we'd seen everything, we started off for la Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's other hugely famous creation -- well maybe work in progress would be a better word.



After a pace-pushing downhill walk on narrow and fairly busy streets, we finally reached the park across the street from this famous church, where we stopped for lunch -- a fresh whole wheat baguette with cheese and meat from the breakfast buffet.

Our lunchtime entertainment consisted of watching this man feeding the pigeons. He actually got one to land on his hand.


And here it is -- the massive unfinished church that has been under construction for more than 100 years. 





The Nativity, with wise men and shepherds below






No comments:

Post a Comment