Saturday, January 2, 2016

Hiking Mormon Trail and Hieroglyphics Trail

December 29
This time we drove to the Mormon Trailhead. It seemed to take almost as long as cycling, although I'm sure that can't be the case, but at least we didn't have to worry about locking up the bikes.

This trail, while it looks somewhat uninspiring at the beginning, turns out to be rather spectacular.  There's a pretty decent climb, leading to panoramic views of the city:
 


and then a few memorable features, such as:

Fat Man's Pass



and Tall Man's Pass




and plenty of striking boulder formations




That was our morning hike -- maybe 6 or 7 km. In the afternoon, we drove farther afield to the Superstition Mountains' Hieroglyphics Trail. When I heard about this trail, I said, "You mean petroglyphs?" No, I was told, "hieroglyphs." OK, if you say so. 


But then when I read about the trail, I learned that the early European settlers thought they were seeing Egyptian writing, resulting in the misnomer. Sort of like American "Indians," I guess.

This trail is about 5 km up a slope to a rocky canyon with pools of water. Lots of saguaro cacti, as well as others -- prickly pear, chollas, barrel cactus, etc.



some of the "hieroglyphs"

 




No comments:

Post a Comment