Saturday, May 16, 2015

Regent's Park area - Sunday April 26


Riding on a hire cycle (rental bike in Canadian-speak) I headed for the Regent's Park area. If the hire cycle theme is beginning to sound familiar, it's because I rode one at least 5 times a day every day. I think I should advertise the Cycle Hire service; I went almost everywhere on the saddle of one of these bikes.


On the way to the park, I passed some lovely old buildings and churches.




Also this adorable pink car. 
If I were about 20 years older and knew how to drive on the left side of the road, I would like to have this!

After docking the bike, I wandered around the streets near the park and stumbled on the London Central Mosque -- open to the public. I did borrow a headscarf from the security guard before stepping inside.

This is a beautiful building with a shady courtyard, and they even have a restaurant downstairs.


Not far from the mosque is the Abbey Lodge apartment building, where you too can own a condo for £2,750,000 to £5,000,000. Of course, that almost certainly includes the doorman! 
If you can't afford to buy a place here, maybe you can rent one for £260,000 per year. 


The Francis Holland School for Girls caught my eye -- it was built in 1915. School fees are surprisingly modest here, at about £6,200 per year.


Also near the park, there is a roundabout with this statue of 
St. George and the Dragon in the centre. Somehow, it is also a memorial for both World Wars. This roundabout was extremely annoying, because there are sidewalks running across it, but no crosswalks. You simply have to stand and wait for a break in traffic before you can cross. Even in a cosmopolitan city like London, cars rule, it seems.

And now some scenes from Regent's Park itself, where I had a warming cappucino in a little cafe.



No comments:

Post a Comment