Sunday, May 3, 2015

Walking around the neighbourhood

I did a lot of walking in London. One of my favourite things was to choose new routes each time I went out. Yes, it did mean I got lost occasionally, but I also saw lots of interesting things. There were the armed police officers, for one.

I walked past St. Mary's Hospital, quite a fantastic old building -- but old. Coming from the land of "new is better," I wondered whether people actually still went to this hospital for treatment and if so, what it would be like. (I was picturing the days of Charles Dickens and Florence Nightingale.) Well, little did I know that in a few days this hospital would be in the news big-time as the birthplace of the new little princess.


If I had known, I would have been sure to walk around to the Lindo Wing, which is opposite the entrance pictured here.



 
Some of the tube stations have more character than others; I liked the look of this one.

The Edgeware Road has a lot of character -- almost every shop is something related to Middle-Eastern culture -- restaurants, hair salons, grocery stores, you name it.




Of course beautiful old churches are everywhere.




I decided that if I ever move to London, a suite in one of these apartment buildings, called Hyde Park Mansions and Oxford & Cambridge Mansions, will be just the thing. 



And Marble Arch is only a few steps away...

No comments:

Post a Comment