Saturday, July 2, 2016

Amersfoort June 23

Thursday, June 23 - City #2: Amersfoort

From Utrecht I took the train up to Amersfoort, just a short distance away.


This is a very old city, with an amazing gated entrance (built in the 1300s) to the old part. No matter how many of these old buildings I see, I can never get enough and can never stop being impressed that people could build stuff like this without modern-day machinery.






There is a climb-worthy tower here as well, but this one was not open when I stopped by. And I learned that it too is only accessible "under supervision of a guide."

As you can see, it was getting pretty gloomy by this time, so I hurried my way around the city, seeing as much as I could before the rain started.













 




This is the new city hall. It seemed so out of place in this city full of medieval buildings. But I guess life goes on and progress occurs here just like everywhere else. And maybe the local people get tired of old buildings everywhere? Something new and shiny makes for a change.





By the time I headed back to the station, it was pouring rain. I opened my umbrella and enjoyed watching the cyclists open their umbrellas and continue riding. Even thought I consider myself an experienced cyclist, I don't know if I could pull this off. Definitely not with as much panache!



And finally -- this was the bike parking at the train station. I had to take three photos to cover the whole parking area. 

This is for a city of about 150,000. 



No comments:

Post a Comment