Sunday, June 26 - Bike ride to De Hoge Veluwe National Park
This is the park where my dad worked as a “vogelbeschermingswacht” -- bird protection guard -- back in the 1940s. I saw the edges of it while riding back from Ede on Wednesday, but I wanted to ride right up to it. The forecast was for thunderstorms and heavy rain, so I thought I would ride up there in the morning and let the weather guide me after that.I started by consulting my cycling map and figuring out where I wanted to go. I was so busy trying to figure out the route that I didn't take many photos. It was a pretty ride; the parks are lovely and green, dotted here and there with a few elegant buildings
The ride was also a good workout, all uphill on the way there. Finally I came to the forest. I didn't actually go to the entrance gate, where you can buy admission tickets; I saw a place where a path through the woods meets the main road and decided to ride on that. I was slightly afraid of getting lost in the woods, so I just rode straight for a few kilometers, then turned around and rode back. I know, that is kind of lame, but it was quiet and very pretty, and I got a good feel for the forest. All the trees are deciduous and there is much less undergrowth than we have in the woods around here.
By this time, the sky was completely overcast and I could sense the storm approaching, so I decided to go back. And of course, somehow I managed to get lost again -- in the same place, near the hospital. This time I ended up in a neighbourhood with streets named after composers: Beethovenlaan, Mozartstraat, Handelstraat, Bachlaan, etc., which of course is totally charming. Nice houses in the area, too.
This time it was a guy out for a run who came to my rescue. When he told me how to go, at first I thought I would have to go up the big hill again, and I was not too thrilled. But it turned out I just had to go up a small hill, and then after that it was all downhill back into town.
In addition to this eyesore, there are also a surprisingly number of beautiful old buildings, surprising because Arnhem was badly hit during World War II. This is part of the old city gate, tucked in between two much newer buildings.It houses relics of Saint Walburg and Saint Eusebius.
Right now, there is construction all around this area, so it is a bit of a mess.
This is the big church of Arnhem -- Saint Eusebius -- begun in 1450. Its tower can be ascended, but only by lift. No, thank you. The tower is also covered in scaffolding, which detracts a fair bit from its beauty and majesty. In the crypt below the church, there are skeletons, but I wasn't interested in seeing those.

Saint Martin's Church, built in the 1870s. It is simple but striking. This one was not damaged during the war and really stands out as you are riding along the road. I liked the tall pointed steeple and the carving over the doorway.


When the thunder and lightning and heavy rain started, I headed back to the hotel, getting completely soaked on the way.




No comments:
Post a Comment