Friday, June 24 -- Dordrecht and Kinderdijk
I took this photo on my way back to town after visiting the
windmills. I was riding along a bike lane next to the river, when I rounded a bend, and was treated to this surprise view!
I started the day by taking the train to Dordrecht, which calls itself the oldest city in the Netherlands. (A couple of other cities also claim that title, by the way!)
At the train station, I rented a bike. I told the rental guy that I wanted to go to Kinderdijk, the UNESCO World Heritage Site pictured above, and he suggested that I take the Waterbus (small ferry) there and then ride back. That sounded like a good plan, so I started by riding through town to the waterbus terminal, taking in the sights along the way.
I especially loved this old gate, right next to the waterbus terminal.
The bike I rented here was also especially nice -- a pretty blue 3-speed and so comfy and classy. I wished I could bring it home with me. Of course I had heard many good things about Dutch bikes before coming here, but now I know firsthand just how wonderful they are.
Maybe next time I will be able to bring one back!
There is a tower here, too, and I had just enough time to climb it before the waterbus was due to depart.
There are 279 twisty, turny steps. Every time I start climbing and get that closed-in feeling and that lurch in my stomach, I ask myself why I'm doing this. But when I reach the top, I know why...


When I came back down to earth, I raced back to the ferry terminal to catch the waterbus. Bikes travel free, and there were a few of us with bikes. Most of the others were older couples. There is a nice bike parking spot as soon as you get on the boat.
The water bus goes quite fast, and it was a very scenic ride along two different rivers -- the Oude Maas and the Noord.
It took about half an hour, during which there was something new to see every few minutes.
And then we were there. As soon as I saw this place, I remembered it from about 45 years ago when my dad took us here.
There is a paved path for bikes all along the canal, so I rode to the end. Actually, you can ride further, but I wasn't sure where I would end up, so I decided to turn around.
The windmills are from the 1700s and 1800s and at least some of them are still working.

At first I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this kid swimming in this highly questionable water. But then I thought of my youngest son, and I could believe it. This is exactly what he would have done!

It was a pretty gloomy and cool day, and it rained a bit off and on, but that was OK, as there were not too many other tourists.


After I'd had my fill of windmills, I started by to Dordrecht on the aforementioned bike path that follows the river.
As always, there were quaint cottages and houses, churches and another of the John Frost Bridge look-a-likes. The bike path was not at all busy; for the most part I had it to myself, so it was quiet and peaceful. 


The distance between Kinderdijk and Dordrecht is about 15 kilometers, but of course I managed to increase the distance a little by taking a few wrong turns! I didn't mind too much, because there was always something interesting to see. Such as these sheep working as eco-friendly lawn mowers.
The last part of my ride into town took me past this fascinating hotel, the Villa Augustus -- built on an old water tower. Next time I'm in town, I will have to stay here!





















No comments:
Post a Comment