June 23 continued - Arnhem evening bike ride
When I decided to make this trip, one of the things I was happy about was that I'd be there during the season of long summer days. No worries about being out alone after dark. In late June in Arnhem, just as in Edmonton, the sun rises at about 5:30 and sets at about 10:30. These times are "ish" of course, but the point is, there are many hours of daylight. So today, even though I lost a couple of afternoon hours due to heavy rain and thunderstorms, I still had the rental bike, and in the evening, when the sun was shining, I went for a long bike ride around the city and especially along the Rhine River.
A herd of dairy cattle calmly enjoying the lush green grass that grows beside the river.
The park along the north side of the river. Those long stone things are steps/benches and to their left is an exhibit of children's art. The close-up of the art is below.
In the background, you can see the Big Church - Saint Eusebius
.
This is the other big bridge -- the Nelson Mandela Bridge. Notice the amazing bike and pedestrian pathways. No shared lanes or crowding here.
The windmill is visible from up here on the bridge, but I never did see it up close.

This photo shows how high the river was, when I was there at least. I don't know if it is always this high. The red brickwork is the walking/cycling path along the river.
And I felt so sorry for this poor guy on his horse. Clearly he is undervalued by the city of Arnhem, and clearly he would like to have more attention. So I gave him some.

Some photos of Arnhem's very modern city hall and law courts. This reminded me of Edmonton, even the covered bike parking. There was a lot of construction in this area, and it was hard even to tell what they were doing. I guess I'll have to come back in a year or two and see what has changed.


No comments:
Post a Comment