Saturday, July 2, 2016

Deventer -- June 23

Thursday, June 23 City #4: Deventer


This city was about half an hour from Zwolle by train. I came here partly because of my husband, who is interested in World War II history. This town was the filming location of the famous movie "A Bridge too Far" -- about the battle of Arnhem. Although the battle took place in Arnhem, where my hotel is, and the famous John Frost Bridge is actually located there,  the movie about the battle was filmed in another city, further north.


So I came here to take photos of the bridge, which does look remarkably like the John Frost bridge. 





This building is the "Waag" or weigh house -- a place where merchants brought goods to be weighed. It was built in 1528 and really is as crooked as it looks. The tourist office is located here,  but it was closed when I came, which was disappointing. 







The photo below shows the old city hall, right next to the ultra-modern new city hall. I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition.




There was a lovely old tower here, too, but sadly it was closed.  Everything was kind of dead around town, so I just wandered around for a bit, took some photos of the river and then got ready to leave. I was sorry to miss the chance to climb the tower, but I still enjoyed the old-world feel of the place, and it was nice and peaceful.







No comments:

Post a Comment