Saturday, March 14, 2015

March 3 - Train to Copenhagen

I took the Metro to Central Station. That was easy, as the Staples ad says.



Once there, I had to find the SJ train to Copenhagen. I asked someone for directions and was told to go upstairs. Sure enough, there was the SJ ticket office, so I went inside to ask about the train. The woman behind the counter looked at my ticket and told me I would have to go downstairs again. But, she added, I was early; I had plenty of time, so I should go to the First Class lounge and relax, maybe have a cup of coffee.

The First Class lounge -- I expected great things, but it was nothing special. 


I sat there for a little while, but I was a bit uneasy, so I decided to go downstairs and find the train platform. When I got downstairs I saw the sign for platform 12a, but I couldn't see the train anywhere. After looking around for a bit, I finally realized that I was supposed to go upstairs again (a different set of stairs.) 
I went up and there was platform 12a, and there was the train. I was in Wagon #1 so I had to walk past 4 or 5 cars to get there. I got inside, set my bag on the overhead rack, sat down, and next thing I knew the train was leaving. There was no "all aboard" call, no whistle, nothing, just a gentle forward motion. 

Was I ever glad I had made it on time! So much for the desk clerk's "Plenty of time"!!

SJ train first class car

First class was nothing really special, although the seats were large and comfy, there was limited free WiFi and there was free coffee, tea, water and fruit. Also packaged brownies.

I had read that the scenery between the two cities was nothing spectacular, and I'd have to say that is true. We went through a few tunnels and past some smallish mountains, as well as lots of farmland. There was quite a bit of snow in places.




I took a few videos from the train, but they are not all that interesting.  
All in all, the train ride was okay, but I was glad when it was over!


No comments:

Post a Comment