Friday, March 13, 2015

Stockholm - The Hotel Kom



When I was planning my trip, I spent a lot of time looking at hotels on the internet, trying to decide where to stay. I wanted to be economical, but not so cheap that I ended up in a fleabag and bringing home bedbugs -- or worse. 

During this time, I received an advertising email from Best Western. When I checked out their Stockholm hotels, there was a special - stay 3 nights for the price of 2 -- at the Hotel Kom. It sounded OK and the price was right, so I booked it. For the fourth night, I used Air Miles and booked a room at a different Best Western. 

The Hotel Kom was a hit right from the start. First of all, as I mentioned in the previous post, it was easy to find. The lobby was welcoming, with a fantastic mosaic mural of the city...


and even an aquarium.


I had requested a room on a high floor, and to my delight, I was on the top floor, reached by a spiral staircase:


It's called the 9th floor, but the lobby is on the 4th floor, so this was actually more like 4 or 5 floors above ground. 
Still, the view from my window was more than satisfactory:


 But, according to Dave, the real test would come in the morning, at the free buffet breakfast.


 Fruit, meat, bread, vegetables, eggs, jam and other spreads, cheese, more fruit... it was delicious and satisfying. I ate a lot!

Some things that were a bit different -- and Swedish -- pickled herring, muesli with yogurt, lots of different types of yogurt, a variety of rusks.

The bathroom in this hotel was also interesting. On the wall next to the sink, there was an arrangement of pipes where the towels hung. These pipes were warm and made a gurgling noise. On closer inspection, I realized that they were water pipes. The hot water circulates through the pipes, staying hot and ready to use at any time. The toilet also uses "grey" water, something I had heard about but never seen before.




No comments:

Post a Comment