I started the day by exploring an area of Stockholm called Kungsholmen. If you remember that "holm" means "small island," you will guess correctly that this is another island. City Hall is also on this island, but I wanted to go to the area north of City Hall, away from the harbour.
I walked south, through the shopping and residential areas near the hotel, and came to another beautiful church -- Saint Clara. This is a "newer" church -- 1835. It is right in the middle of a busy shopping area, and again it has a lovely churchyard with large trees and benches. There was also a tent set up in one corner of the churchyard and there was a long line-up of men waiting for something -- presumably a hand-out of some kind.
![]() |
| waiting in line at Saint Clara Church |
Almost right away at the top, I saw another beautiful church, this one from 1688. This churchyard is exceptionally pretty, with stone steps and huge trees.
The next area I visited used to be an estate belonging to a city councilor named Carl Piper, back in the 17th century. There was a "summary" explanation in English, but a lot more information in Swedish. "Rådhuset" means Court House, and in this area is the Stockholm Court House and Police Headquarters, both built in the earl 1900s. The trees and building below are from the 1600s and belonged to Piper.
Across from this was the Stockholm Court House and right next door, the Police Headquarters. These are both large and elegant old buildings with beautiful gardens -- and lots of bicycle parking.
| Stockholm Court House |
| Police HQ - Kungsholmen, Stockholm |
| Police Headquarters, Stockholm |
Along the way, I ran into this building, the County Hall.
![]() |
| no English on this sign -- I had to use Google to find out what the building is |
There was a group of young children on an outing. I noticed that they all wore neon green hi-vis vests, making them easy to spot!
When I passed this apartment building, I had to wonder whether the bicycle owners had to pay extra for their up-front parking spaces!
On the Waterfront
People seem to live in some of these boats (hopefully not the half-sunken one!)
Other people live in more luxurious quarters!





















No comments:
Post a Comment