Friday, March 13, 2015

Stockholm, March 1

Plus 5 Celsius is fairly warm, right? Not when the wind is 56 km/hour blowing off the water!


Today I went to Djurgården, a large park on the Stockholm harbour. 

I started by walking through the churchyard that is across from the hotel (and that my window looks out on.) It is also like a park, with paths and large trees and benches -- and once again, graves.


The name of the church is St. Johannes, and it was built in 1890 -- so it is actually quite new, compared to some of the others.







The owner of this bike is obviously a kindred spirit!



From here I went down some stairs, and then up some other stairs


and then through Humlegarden Park. This is a lovely park, with tree-lined walkways and a beautiful old building housing National Library of Sweden. And of course, more statues. 





This statue is of "Linne" -- Carl Linnaeus


In this park, I also began my study of the Stockholm Saturday night drinking culture:





street named after Linnaeus



I passed this building -- a market hall, built in 1888. It wasn't open, but apparently it has stalls with different types of merchandise, including reindeer meat. But it is described as "very expensive," so maybe I didn't miss much!

No comments:

Post a Comment