After spending a few hours in Gamla Stan, I returned to the hotel at about 2:30 for a quick break -- recharge the cell phone and unload my backpack. Then I set out to see Stockholm's City Hall.
This is not a super-old building -- completed in 1923 -- but it is certainly different from Edmonton's super-modern City Hall.
One of the things I noticed right away was the crescent moon on one of the pinnacles. I googled this, and found a forum where some guy says this was added in 2014 as a nod to the city's Islamic population. I can't find anything official, however, so I'm not sure whether this is true.

I was too late for the guided tour (which incidentally costs 70 kroner, or about $10.00 -- Edmonton's City Hall tours are absolutely free) so I just wandered around outside, exploring the grounds and admiring the building and the view across the water.
Yes, it was a gloomy day! But I couldn't complain, because I had looked at the weather in Edmonton, and it was -3 C (windchill -10) and the forecast was for even colder temperatures and even some snow.
| Stockholm City Hall |

No comments:
Post a Comment